Like my page

Follow me on Twitter

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Interview with Author Mila Ramos

Today I have the pleasure of interviewing Mila Ramos
who is on tour right now for her book Echoes and Illusions.


1.      Who is Mila Ramos?
I’d like to describe myself as a collection of eclectic tastes, sense of humor and quirky little personalities. One of those eclectic personalities comes out as a writer. The other sides of Mila are a chemist, a belly dancer, wife, sister, owner of the Invisible Jet and possessor of the lasso of truth.  Quite a combination and whopper of a tag line to put into a title but I’ve always been interested in countless avenues of life.  Some people think you only live once so you might as well do it all. I say no matter if you live once or a few times, do the things you love and those things will make your world phenomenal.

 2.      What genre do you prefer to write? Why?
Science Fiction/ Paranormal Erotica are my area of fun.  The paranormal is just a much more interesting realm for me to explore. I think part of the reason for the unknown in the paranormal extends over to the work in chemistry I do. The unknown, the “you never know” aspect of the field and the paranormal genre is no different. From alien species, to time travel to superpowers, I absolutely adore the realm.

3.      Do you ever have to struggle with you characters to get them where you want them to go?
Oh yes, sometimes to the point where I want to hide them in a drawer and wait for them to behave.  It’s usually the characters that are the most difficult that I tend to love and adore writing. They are complicated to deal with and closer to real life than most people I know. 

4.      Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it?
I have come to the conclusion that writers block and I were lovers in a past life. It may sound odd but sometimes I have been known to go blank on a book for more than a few months. Having tried most of the tried and true methods, I’ve come to the conclusion that even characters need to go to Tahiti for some time. I have one book where the characters have permanently relocated to Jamaica since they like it there so much.  One of the methods that I have tried that has been real successful is writing quick “thought shots” about the characters. “Thought shots” are what I like to say is just getting into the characters mind frame about anything in particular. It can even be how they will react or think about as they are having coffee for instance. What is on their mind, what they are going through and this has helped tremendously.

5.      While working on a story, do you directly onto the computer or are there notebooks and plot ideas jotted down in various places?
Note books, post-it notes, little pieces of papers cut out. So many little things lying around my desk and house it’s ridiculous.  I am currently in negotiations with my husband to just get a laptop just for writing. Now of course he still thinks I’m nuts but I’m working on wearing him down.

6.      Echoes and Illusions is quite the collection.  Where did some of your ideas come from?
Each story had different inspirations. Reel-to-Real came about in a dream actually and from there the idea just evolved over time. Smoke and Mirrors came about through a what if situation I was discussing with a friend of mine about the infamous question "if you knew then what you know now'.  This book in particular is a favorite of mine solely based on that conversation.  The Watchers and The Seventh Legend were both inspired by a song, a very unlikely song in all truth. I was listening to "Calling All Angels" by Jane Siberry. Her voice was so haunting in the music and it made me truly think about burdens as well as angels.

7.      From your own writing, do you have a favourite story or character? Why?
My two favourite characters are Ailsa Sullivan and Duncan Walsh. They are a part of the story Prophecy of the Boar. I’ve been working on expanding their story with the second book Divination (finally!!!).   These two characters fascinate my mind on endless levels. Not so much how they are but the endless possibilities of what they can do and the interaction between them. They have this spark between them that even still now I can’t figure out. That is the best thing that can happen to a story. 

8.      What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
Probably fantasizing about writing or editing, or so it seems lately.  In all seriousness I’m usually just keeping busy doing one thing or another. I’m either playing scrabble to pass time, hanging out with friends, catching up on books and movies, spending time with my husband, working in the lab, working on my belly dancing or running from my cat who oddly enough loves to play chase with me. It’s never a dull moment in my household.

Mila Ramos "Echoes & Illusions"

Reel-to-Real

A curious invitation mystifies acclaimed movie critic Moira Castle.   In an industry where word of mouth is reality, Moira comes back home to the unexpected.  Memories surge as an old movie reel and theater owner Toren McCann hold answers that have lain quiet for far too long. 

Some stories are based on legend, some on rumor. Some stories are real.  For a young woman her childhood book has something more than imagined.  The book contains the story of a real hero facing an unimaginable evil that’s been after since she was a child.

In a world where duty and honor are binding and crucial Selene, a Coven Enforcer, has to choose between the life she knows and the life she yearns.  On a dark and stormy night Selene learns that some rules are meant to be broken, even immortal ones. 

Smoke & Mirrors
Dr. Ana Fiore has earned her reputation “Dr. Ice” by her solid work and rigid personality. Sent to a conference for determination of Chief of Staff, she is snowed in with rival and colleague Dr. Dakota Hastings. Face-to-face with Dakota, she learns she isn’t the only expert at illusion. 

Here's where you can find Echoes and Illusions

Here's more info about Mila's tour stops


Thanks for stopping by Mila!!

No comments:

Post a Comment