Like my page

Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Finding THAT song... #MFRWauthor

Sometimes getting your characters to cooperate and do what you think they should do only takes the right song to be playing in your ears while you write.

Then again sometimes no matter what you do they are not going to toe the line and do anything you wanted 😀

I don’t know how other writers work but when I’m deep in a story I use music to help me focus and connect with the story and characters.

Café Serenity’s characters had quite a different song list than I usually listen to.  The songs are usually background for me to give me certain emotions and feelings, in Serenity’s case the music was feared for the characters more than my emotions. I was also able to put the characters favorite song in the story – it helps the quiet café by day is a bar by night. J

Pascal’s favorite song is House Rules by Christian Kane – probably not your typical vampire song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z1NPihh6oA

Attis’ is Give Me a Reason by Three Days Grace … a little more vampire for sure.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tWBt_j2ayM

The females in the story preferred something a little heavier than my vamps did; Ladies Come First by Hinder was their song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXSPy9BunX8

I could go on for pages about music and how it helps with my writing or my mood in general, but I prefer people to stay awake when they read anything I’ve written.


I may have to write more stories in bars or clubs so I can incorporate my work music into the plot a little more often.  My beta readers said it gave them a feel for the character to know their music preference -  for me it just helps take me where my characters are trying to lead.



Jacqueline 
 Paige

Twitter: @JacqPaige
All Things Paranormal



2 comments:

  1. Glad I'm not the only one with misbehaving characters. I use music much in the same way that you do. It's a huge part of my process and I'd be lost without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not the only one with misbehaving characters. I have one that is a skilled singer/musician. And Elspeth, Captain of Sea Falcon is as skilled with a flute as she is with a short sword. To her surprise the songs she composed and gifted her friend the kind were snagged by the Bard Guild and are now required reading. Thanks for reminding me of my characters abilities.

    ReplyDelete