Like my page

Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Excerpt Thursday - After the Silence - Bree (part 1)



Kismet sat in his usual observation mode looking all around us as if he was waiting for something interesting to happen.  He whined in a peculiar way that I’d never heard and the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Tremor pranced on the earth in an uneasy way. At the same moment I moved cautiously to the edge of the opening birds flew up out of the trees scattering in every direction.  It was suddenly so quiet; not even the slightest noise could be heard.
With the knife already in my hand I went and stood just under the lowest part of the overhang, scanning the area around us trying to pick up on whatever they were sensing.   I was just taking a breath to speak and calm them when the ground beneath my feet quivered.  A nauseous feeling flooded through me, one that I knew all too well. My heart pumped triple time and my brain flashed back to last huge quake we’d had.
I had a few seconds, only enough to decide if I wanted to take the chance outside of the shelter with the tall trees very nearby or risk being suffocated under it if it collapsed.  The dirt under my boots rocked again, more noticeably this time.  Tremor reared up and called out his fear.  Racing towards him, I grabbed his halter and pulled him back closer to the cover.  Kismet whined again, almost an agonizing plea making me wonder if they knew something I didn’t.  In a building I knew the rules; stand in a doorway but out here there was an absence of doorways leaving me at a loss of what to do.
The next movement was not a warning but a full scale shift.  The trees around us protested with loud cracks and sounds that came to me like moans of pain.  I couldn’t say how long this went on, but it felt like hours.  Clinging to the halter, I tried to keep Tremor from bolting, I couldn’t help thinking if he really wanted to leave I wouldn’t offer much of an obstacle with my size.
There were no dishes breaking or paintings banging against the wall.  The sound of glass shattering wasn’t one I missed.  All of nature was silent as the earth bucked below in a cry of rage.
I was panicking inside, but trying to stay calm to reassure my animals to lessen the panic they were feeling.  The earth behind me slid down from its perch and would have knocked me off my feet if I weren’t hanging onto the horse with all the strength I had.  A deafening crack was the only warning we had, I don’t know what made me look up but when I saw an older tree leaning towards us, I released Tremor’s halter and smacked his neck to get him to move.  He didn’t hesitate as he bolted in the opposite direction.  I stumbled behind him and landed on my knees when the grassy floor distorted taking my balance away.  Uncertain what else to do I flipped onto my side and covered my head, hoping the tree fell far enough away I’d survive it.


Available at FIRST REALM PUBLISHING in several formats.


Genre: Paranormal Urban Fantasy / Survivalist

  One woman’s journey through the chaotic new world.

Those left standing make the paths for the future generations.


When the Mother Nature decides she’s had enough and begins to fight back, survival takes on a whole new meaning.  If the earth is the enemy – there are no rules and all you can do is try to survive the odds.

Those the planet allowed to live still have to survive the trials of the virus. If you manage to come out of it alive you are left with some form of mutation that could give you an ability that could be harmless or lethal.

Bree Taylor is the last survivor of her family.  With no other choice she sets off on her own to escape the clutches of the new government’s army—that does not place safety and security in their code of behavior only the highest bidder get their protection and loyalty.

Living in a world of unstable climate changes becomes a journey she won’t soon forget.  She has to be prepared for anything at all times out in the new country and has to be wary of every person she meets. All while staying out of the path of the new army.


This is a 4 part serial story releasing from June - September.


Also available on AMAZON and SMASHWORDS

Part 1 on sale for $0.99!


For an excerpt from Magic Seasons

Jacqueline Paige
Step into a world of magic and passions. . .
All Things Paranormal
http://j-risk.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment